• How I Motivate Myself To Go To The Gym

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset
    YES I WAS FREEZING MY FAT OFF JUST BY TAKING THIS PHOTO. Ideally I wanted to go to the gym to take this post, but ol’ mother nature decided to snow us in so I thought a snowy-look-like-I-am-going-for-a-run picture would be suitable. I have been going to the gym like hard-core (by my standards) since the beginning of January because I ate so much over the festive period that I gained like a tonne! Okay… maybe not a tonne but I did gain some extra flub to keep me warm over the winter.
    However since the beginning of January I have been going to the gym 2-3 times a week, I have been eating less and better (with cheat meals of course) and I have nearly lost 2kg. But a healthy 2kg not like OMG I AM GOING TO LOOSE SO MUCH MORE. I have put on a lot of muscle too so remember muscle weighs more than fat!
    I have even started drinking protein shakes… I know get me! One because it is only like 100 calories, and the one I have has both whey powder and green tea extracts so is good for slimming and toning and two because I never drink a lot of milk so it’s a good way of me getting more calcium in my diet.
    But trust me it hasn’t been all ‘Oh lets go to the gym work out a few times and lose some calories’ oh no I have had some REAL issues with motivating myself to do this and to go to the gym. I am for sure the last person to be giving lectures about motivation as when deciding whether I go to the gym or not I am always texting my boyfriend going ‘Oohhhh do I go to the gym or don’t I?’ and he’s always like ‘Yeah go for it!!’ and he is right.
    So my number one tip for motivation is ‘F*ck It’. Literally say that too yourself because seriously what have you got too loose. Even the busiest of people I bet can find 30 mins to go to the gym. When I am in the car driving down to the gym, I have that feeling of relief knowing that I got my lazy ass self off the sofa and actually doing something.
    Another tip is to think about your end goal. I am going to Croatia in the summer **YAY** but I must have that bikini bod ready…. Don’t get me wrong everyone has a bikini bod but I would just like to feel a little more confident in a bikini this year. Even if I only see slight improvements then I am happy. TBF I have already seen a lot of improvements, in my hips and waist and my legs are looking strong AF. #CONFIDENCEISKEY
    The tip which I probably can relate to the most is getting yourself something that you can have after the gym which you look forward to. For example a yummy (but healthy) snack or a protein shake. For me, it is my protein shake because its soooooo good and jesus I crave it all the time now but I can’t have it unless I go to the gym because it’s too expensive to have as a normal milkshake. SO YES SOMETIMES I GO TO THE GYM JUST TO HAVE THE MILKSHAKE .
    Lastly another good tip is to splash out on some higher end gym clothes. I went and got myself some Gym Shark leggings and a Gym Shark Sports Bra. I got them in the red colour and its sooooo stunning. I love them so much, they don’t show any sweat marks, the only issue I am now having is that I have lost weight so the leggings are slightly baggy Ha Ha! Sports Direct also sent me this amazing Under Armour sports bra which I love for when I do a cardio day! But this is good because you can only wear them if you go to the gym, thus if you buy some nice gym clothes you have to go to the gym!
    But most importantly remember that whatever you are striving for, gaining muscle, loosing weight or getting fitter, it is still more than OKAY to have a cheat day. Go have that pizza or dig into that chocolate cake YOU DESERVE IT!!
    Do you go to the gym? If so how do you motivate yourself?!
    untitled-1-2
    Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Facebook
    Like my blogs >> Buy me a coffee!

Share:

52 Comments

1. 02/03/2018 / 5:56 pm

That’s some real dedication for that photo! You look amazing and these tips are great, I’ve been so lazy working out as of late! X

2. 02/03/2018 / 6:53 pm

This was very helpful! You definitly motivated me to workout 😉 x

3. 02/03/2018 / 6:54 pm

This actually gave me so much motivation to work out more! Thanks you, P.s, You look amazing!!! x

4. 03/03/2018 / 7:09 am

Thanks for helping motivate me to work out more!! I can’t imagine how cold you were in that photo!! Xx

5. 03/03/2018 / 8:51 pm

Great post! I do go to the gym, however I haven’t in a while. I’m looking for the motivation to return. I plan to start this coming week. I like how I feel afterwards, and I like the end results, most definitely! Proud of you for getting there! Thank you for sharing! <3

6. 04/03/2018 / 7:38 pm

Great post! I agree splashing a little on sports wear definitely makes me want to wear it so I workout. My motivation is that my gym is at work so before leaving work I go to the gym, that way I haven’t sat down at home and then have to get up and go back out to the gym – it’s right there!

7. 04/03/2018 / 7:52 pm

Great job! F*ck it is my motto too! For example this morning , sitting in my bathrobe making excuses not to go to body pump class at my gym- but this class gets full so you gotta sign up an hour before so it was that now or never moment, so I said f it and just did it! No regrets on the car ride there or home either 💪🏼 Thursday on my drive home from work at 7pm I passed right by one of my gym locations so I turned off the exit and got in my 50m cardio/saved time/didn’t have to go Friday🤙it’s ab seizing the moment! Goodluck w future self motivation moments ✨💜

8. 04/03/2018 / 8:19 pm

It is all about creating a habit and routine. I go to spin class Wednesday and Thursday and do strength training Friday and Sunday. There is no option other than doing it. Keep it up!

9. 08/03/2018 / 11:52 am

Great post! Really enjoyed it! I’m musing over purchasing some Gym Shark goodies myself, any recommendations? Jemma x

• 08/03/2018 / 10:53 pm

I really like the high waisted leggings as around the stomach they are almost compressed!

10. 08/03/2018 / 3:25 pm

Great post, and good tips. I definitely agree with you on buying higher end gym clothes. It just makes it so much more fun!
      I love that you address looking strong more than looking skinny. I think that’s a very healthy thing that’s happening in the fitness world right now – women want to look STRONG instead of as if they have disordered eating habits. So cool!

• 08/03/2018 / 10:52 pm

I want to look strong and most importantly BE STRONG. I want to prove women can do what is deemed to be a manly thing to do!

11. 08/03/2018 / 9:28 pm

It’s so hard for me to get my routine going again once I’ve taken a break, especially if I’m not the happiest with how I look (even though that alone should probably be motivation enough) I find that taking classes work better for me because they hold me accountable, and my trainer will know if I skip or not! Plus it’s easy for them to fit in my schedule and they teach me new things I can do on my own!

• 08/03/2018 / 10:50 pm

I used to struggle and say to myself surely if I hate my body this much it should be enough to motivate myself to go to the gym. It wasn’t though. It was more of getting into the habit of it for me. I had to miss a week due to it being snowed in and then being busy and I missed it so much!

12. 21/03/2018 / 8:06 pm

OMG, you are probably my long lost sister! XD Literally I’m on the same journey as you. I have been trying to create a healthy lifestyle since January too, you know, new year new me! I have been going to the gym twice a week, and two times a week to soul cycle (if you have never tried it I suggest you to do it, it’s incredible and so motivating!) My only problem is that I cannot stop to eat junk food… It has been a struggle, but you are right, “F*ck It”, the only thing that stops you from eating healthy is you! What do you have to lose! Thanks for sharing this, it makes me feel that I’m not in this alone!

• 22/03/2018 / 8:19 pm

OMG this has made me sile so much! Whats soul cycle? It sounds so interesting! I have a struggle eating junk food too its so bad!

13. 17/04/2018 / 9:08 pm

LOVE THIS POST! Lol at craving your protein shake! That stuff could be soooo good. I feel ya when it comes to cute gym clothes. I’m a firm believer that they have magical powers to amplify your workouts 😀

• 19/04/2018 / 8:31 pm

Yes exactly!! And apparently they make you burn more calories??

14. 09/05/2018 / 7:32 pm

Very helpful thanks! I find that keeping track of what I’ve done helpful and trying to improve over time. When I look back I can see what I used to do and the improvements help me stay on track

15. 15/06/2018 / 1:42 pm

I was looking for some motivation and looks like found some. Great post

16. 10/07/2018 / 9:52 am

You’re such an inspiration !!

17. 01/08/2018 / 4:02 pm

Great post, I will be sure to follow. I just posted about my motivation for the gym. See what you think 🙂